Craving a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, but don't want to spend the money? This delicious homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe solves all your problems.
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through these links Betsi’s World receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This drink is the pumpkin recipe of dreams. Full of pumpkin spice, vanilla, and our favorite fruit of the season, you are bound to love this recipe!
What's In A Pumpkin Spice Latte
A pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, according to their website, has milk, pumpkin spice sauce (which is made of sugar, milk and pumpkin puree), espresso, whipped cream, vanilla syrup, and a pumpkin spice topping. As delicious as it may be, it includes lots of sugar and preservatives we can do without! Luckily you don't have to sacrifice taste for healthier ingredients. we are going to use a bit healthier ingredients.
For this copycat pumpkin spice latte recipe you will need honey, pumpkin puree, coffee/espresso, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and your favorite milk!
This recipe uses honey as a sweetener but you can use maple syrup or regular sugar if you prefer. If you choose to use sugar, I recommend brown sugar. This will give the latte a deeper flavor.
For the pumpkin puree, Libby's is always a great classic which you can find at most grocery stores. Or, if you're feeling extra ambitious and have left over pumpkins from pumpkin picking you can make a homemade puree! Simply steam the peeled and pitted pieces until they are soft enough to mash.
The espresso, of course, is your choice. You may even want to try pumpkin flavored coffee beans to get maximum pumpkin flavor.
Starbucks uses 2 % milk in their PSLs but you can use whole if you prefer, for a creamier texture. All that is left is the vanilla extract, and the pumpkin pie spice! Grab these at any grocery store or make the spice at home to your liking.
How To Make A Pumpkin Spice Latte At Home
To make this this homemade pumpkin spice latte begin by grabbing a saucepan and adding the pumpkin puree, honey, and pumpkin spice. Slowly and continuously stir the mixture until combined, ensuring that neither the honey nor the pumpkin burns. When everything is well combined, remove the pumpkin mixture from the stove and blend it with a hand held milk frother or even an immersion blender (this is not necessary, but makes it extra creamy). Then, add the mixture to the bottom of your mug.
Next, grab your milk of choice and use an electric milk frother, your espresso machine attachment or heat it on the stove to warm it and achieve that delicious foamy topping. Add a few drops of vanilla extract to the milk for extra flavor.
Meanwhile, brew your espresso! Once finished, add the espresso slowly on top of the pumpkin mixture to achieve a layered look. Slowly add the milk and top with foam and pumpkin pie spice!
To make this pumpkin spice latte iced simply fill up a cup with ice and pour the mixture over the top. You can also use cold brew coffee and use an immersion blender or hand-held milk frother to blend the pumpkin mixture with your cold milk of choice.
Keto Pumpkin Spice Latte
To make this pumpkin spice latte low carb and keto friendly, you can make some simple substitutions. First, change your sweetener to a low carb approved version. Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetner is a great option, but if you prefer Stevia or Erythritol go ahead and use that!
Next, substitute regular whole milk for heavy cream to get those extra fats. Alternatively, you can use plant based milk. I recommend macadamia milk for a nice, creamy texture!
Tools You May Need For This Recipe
- Espresso Machine. Arguably the most important piece of equipment here, there is a wide range of options when it comes to espresso machines, and therefore something for everyone!
- Milk Frother. You can grab an electric milk frother, an immersion blender, or a small hand held milk frother to whip up this pumpkin spice beverage.
- Fall Mug. There's nothing like a seasonal mug to bring everything together and add spice to your morning coffee!
- 2 oz espresso
- 8 oz of milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Add the pumpkin puree, honey, and pumpkin spice to a saucepan.
- Slowly and continuously stir the mixture until combined, ensuring that neither the honey nor the pumpkin burns.
- Remove the pumpkin mixture from the stove and blend it with a hand held milk frother or even an immersion blender (this is not necessary, but makes it extra creamy).
- Add the mixture to the bottom of your mug.
- Next, grab your milk of choice and use an electric milk frother, your espresso machine attachment or heat it on the stove to warm it and achieve that delicious foamy topping.
- Meanwhile, brew your espresso
- Once finished, add the espresso slowly on top of the pumpkin mixture to achieve a layered look.
- Slowly add the milk and top with foam and pumpkin pie spice!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 20mgSodium 129mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 2gSugar 49gProtein 9g
This copycat pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks is truly the perfect drink for fall. Try experimenting with different mugs and toppings to make this drink extra festive!
If you're looking for some more pumpkin treats, you'll love our Decadent Pumpkin Mousse.
Are you a pumpkin spice latte lover? Let us know in the comments below!