Spicy Chicken satay is the perfect, simple side dish to spice up your game day food table. Treat your guests to this Thai inspired dish and switch up your usual assortment to include this flavor bomb. This crowd favorite includes spicy marinated chicken breast, paired with a creamy rich peanut dipping sauce.
Spicy Chicken satay skewers are a great finger food for large gatherings, parties, and football Sundays. Packed with protein, this snack is sure to keep all your football fans satisfied during your all-day game festivities.
How To Cook Chicken Satay
I love grilled chicken, especially chicken breast. In my opinion, grilling maintains the juiciness of the chicken while adding those spectacular grill marks full of smokey flavor. To prepare the chicken, cut each breast into 1 inch long strips, at about ½ inch thickness, and pop it into the marinade for at least 2 hours. The chicken satay marinade of this dish infuses the chicken with aromas of ginger, lime, garlic, sesame, and soy.
Peanut Dipping Sauce
While the chicken is on the grill, you can begin to work on this fantastic peanut dipping sauce. This chicken satay peanut sauce is a wonderful combination of textures from the creamy peanut butter to chopped roasted peanuts, giving it a crunchy bite. The cilantro adds a bright pop of freshness and the sprinkling of cayenne pepper kicks up the heat! It’s as simple as prepping the ingredients, throwing them into a bowl, and mixing it to perfection.
Chicken Satay Is Perfect For Gatherings
This recipe is good for all types of guests, from kids to adults, to picky eaters. Expecting a large crowd? Double or triple this recipe with ease, to accommodate the growing number of hungry bellies. Chicken satay is a versatile culinary creation that can be used as an appetizer, side dish, or entrée. The grilled chicken skewers can even be served alone (that’s how awesome this marinade is), for those who don’t like peanuts or for the kids. Of course, we prefer to “dip and bite” for a medley of flavors you’ll keep coming back for!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To Make This Spicy Chicken Skewers Recipe
- SKEWERS for the chicken. I used bamboo skewers, they are more cost-effective and easy to get in large packs. Don’t forget to soak them in water beforehand so that they don’t burn on the grill!
- GRILL I love a charcoal grill for flavor but any type of grill will work here. I’ve even had friends who used a grill pan on the stove, just make sure it’s hot enough so that your chicken gets those lovely grill mars!
- Large Mixing Bowl for the chicken marinade. I used an oversized metal bowl for ease of mixing and less mess.
- SMALL SAUCEPAN for peanut sauce. A good metal saucepan with a silicone spatula for mixing works well to ensure the peanut sauce doesn’t get scorched on the bottom!
Spicy Chicken Satay with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to ½” thick and cut into 1” strips
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1½ T. hot sauce
- 1 T. pure maple syrup
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. fresh ginger piece, finely minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
- ¾ c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 c. peanut butter
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ c. roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place wooden skewers, if using, in a bowl of water until ready to prepare chicken. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, garlic, and fresh ginger.
- Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and add the chicken strips.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Turn chicken at least once while marinating.
- To prepare the peanut sauce, combine the chicken stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, lime juice, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer gently, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth, and slightly thickened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving container. Top with fresh cilantro and roasted peanuts and set aside.
- To prepare the chicken, clean the grates on a gas grill with a stiff wire brush. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Close lid and preheat grill to medium. (To prepare indoors, spray a grill pan with non-stick cooking spray and set heat to just below medium-high)
- Thread chicken strips onto prepared skewers and place over direct medium heat.
- Close the cover and cook, turning once, until nicely browned, and cooked through, approximately 4-6 minutes per side. (If cooking indoors, increase cooking time to 5-7 minutes per side).
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with the peanut dipping sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Preparation of Skewers and Marinade
Preparing Peanut Sauce
Preparation for Grilling Your Chicken Satay
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 479Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 96mgSodium 1498mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 3gSugar 9gProtein 45g
CHECK OUT WHAT’S NEW ON BETSI’S WORLD
- 3 ROMANTIC NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAIN GETAWAYS
- Easy Holiday Entertaining Ideas
- BEST THINGS TO DO IN WILMINGTON, NC ON VACATION
- WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT CHRISTMAS ISLAND
- Adventures on the Gorge and Fun Things To Do at New River Gorge National Park & Preserve