The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Gourmet grilled cheese is the ‘adult version' of the classic grilled cheese we all know and love. The classic grilled-cheese sandwich, featuring lots of melted cheddar (or American) on soft white bread, is the quintessential comfort food. When paired with a bowl of warm tomato soup, this popular combination evokes warm memories of childhood for many.
However, if you find your tastes in cheese and bread have expanded a bit since those early days, you might want to check out these fabulous gourmet versions, as well. These 3 gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are perfect for a solo lunch or a fun lunch with friends!
How To Make Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of those foods that never fails to make me feel happy. Generally, a well-done sandwich always comes with a feeling of satisfaction that seems odd for such a simple recipe. Nevertheless, a sandwich, especially the grilled cheese, never goes out of style.
Plain cheddar or American cheese, however, does seem to get a bit boring at times. That's why I love to switch up the ingredients in this classic sandwich. Experimenting with different cheeses, fruits, jams, and breads lets me explore diverse flavor profiles and express my creativity in the kitchen!
Blue Cheese, Fig, and Prosciutto Grilled Cheese
The first gourmet grilled cheese is a blue cheese, fig, and prosciutto grilled cheese. If you don't know what prosciutto is, it is a delicious very thinly sliced dry-cured Italian ham. It has a rich salty flavor that goes wonderfully with soft cheeses and sweet fruits.
I love the subtly sweet hint that the fresh figs give to this grilled cheese sandwich. If you can't find fresh figs, you can use fig jam instead! However, keep in mind that fig jam will be much sweeter than the fresh ones.
Using a sharp knife, slice the figs into thin slices, as well as the blue cheese. The blue cheese will crumble, but that's okay, it will become warm and melted in the pan! Grab your favorite bread- I like to use a crusty, rustic bread or sourdough and brush one side of each slice with soften butter.
Place the 2 slices of bread in a non-stick skillet and adjust heat to medium. Add one half of the blue cheese and prosciutto, to each slice, making sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Add the fig slices or spread the fig jam on the other 2 slices (on the un-buttered side) and place on top of the assembled sandwiches in the pan, buttered side up. Press down on each sandwich with a spatula to ensure even contact and to help the interior ingredients heat evenly.
Carefully flip each sandwich and brown on the remaining side. Again, use a spatula to press down to ensure even contact with the hot surface of the pan.
Once the bread is evenly browned on both sides, you can remove them from heat! Make sure to serve them warm, that's when they taste the best!
Peach, Feta and Honey Grilled Cheese
This next gourmet grilled cheese combines sweet peaches, feta cheese, honey, as well as walnuts. This recipe has a little bit of everything, sweet, salty, crunchy, and fresh! When choosing a feta cheese, make sure to pick one that is made of sheep's milk. This will result in a much richer flavor and texture!
As with the first grilled cheese, use a sharp knife to thinly slice the peaches. Then, cut the feta cheese, much like the blue cheese. Next, grab the walnuts and chop them into small pieces.
Brush one side of each slice of the bread of your choice with melted butter. Place 2 slices in a non-stick skillet and adjust heat to medium. Add one half the feta cheese, peaches, and walnuts to each slice, making sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Drizzle some honey on top of the feta, walnuts, and peaches and top with the other slice of bread. Make sure the buttered side is facing upwards. Press down on each sandwich with a spatula to ensure even contact and to help the interior ingredients heat evenly.
Carefully flip each sandwich and brown on the remaining side. Use your spatula to press down to ensure even contact with the hot surface of the pan. When it is thoroughly warmed through, remove and serve!
Pear and Gouda Grilled Cheese
This last gourmet grilled cheese recipe uses a combination of smoked gouda, pear, and a spicy jelly. If you don't like smoked Gouda you can also use an aged cheddar cheese! I like reddish-brown pears, but feel free to use green ones! Consider adding some fresh greens like arugula to the sandwich, it will really brighten up the flavor.
I used a jalapeno jelly for the spice, but you can use red pepper jelly or any other jam that has a kick to it. If you don't like spice, try an apricot jam or an orange peel marmalade!
To assemble the sandwich, use the same technique as the last two. Brush one side of each slice of bread with some softened butter. Place 2 slices in a non-stick skillet and adjust heat to medium. Add one half of the smoked Gouda, pear slices, and arugula to each slice, making sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Spread the spicy jam on the other 2 slices (on the un-buttered side) and place on top of the assembled sandwiches in the pan, buttered side up. Press down on each sandwich with a spatula to ensure even contact and to help the interior ingredients heat evenly.
Carefully flip each sandwich and brown on the remaining side. Again, use a spatula to press down to ensure even contact with the hot surface of the pan. Once the bread is evenly browned on both sides, remove it from heat and serve it warm!
This post may contain affiliate links which won't change your price but will share some commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tools You Make Need To Make This Recipe
- Knife. Grab a sharp knife for slicing your fruits and cheeses into the perfect slices for your grilled cheese!
- Spatula. A spatula comes in handy for when you are grilling these gourmet sandwiches in the pan.
- Cutting Board. Of course you'll need a good cutting board for all your cutting needs!
- Pan. A good pan makes the difference when getting a beautiful even grilling on each side of your sandwich.
Pork Enchilada Casserole
This quick and easy pork enchilada casserole satisfies your cravings without having to go to out. The homemade enchilada sauce will have you off the canned stuff for good!
- 3 cups Shredded pre-cooked pork
- 3 cups Cooked pinto beans
- 1 package Flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 3 tbsp Chili powder
- 8 oz Tomatoe sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Shredded cheese
Creating the Enchilada Sauce
- Heat your vegetable oil over medium-low heat in a small saucepan.
- Once the oil has heated, add in the flour and chili powder. Stir the flour/chili powder mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add in your tomato sauce, water, and spices. Cook and stir the sauce for about ten to twelve minutes, or until it reaches a thick sauce consistency.
Assembling Your Pork Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, spoon some of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 13×9 pan.
- On top of the layer of sauce, add a layer of flour tortillas.
- Top the tortillas with half of the shredded pork and half of the pinto beans.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the pork and beans.
- Add 1/3 of your homemade enchilada sauce.
- For the second layer, you want to repeat the same process. Add the flour tortillas, the pork, the beans, and the cheese. Top this off with more flour tortillas, the remaining enchilada sauce, and then more cheese.
- Place your casserole into your pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until nice and bubbly, and just like that you are finished!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 343Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 69mgSodium 379mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 5gSugar 1gProtein 24g
The Best Comfort Food
These gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are great for when you're in need of a little comfort. I like to serve them with a fresh salad like our Orange Fennel Salad or some fresh cut French fries for when I'm feeling indulgent! Rest assured, your friends will be pleased by this elevated version of a childhood favorite!
CHECK OUT WHAT'S NEW ON BETSI'S WORLD
- Easy Holiday Entertaining Ideas
- BEST THINGS TO DO IN WILMINGTON, NC ON VACATION
- WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT CHRISTMAS ISLAND
- Adventures on the Gorge and Fun Things To Do at New River Gorge National Park & Preserve
- the historic savannah weekend travel guide: discover the history and heritage of this southern city
Which one of these gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches is your style? Let us know in the comments below!