Pulled BBQ pork sliders are always a great dish to have for a backyard gathering or family dinner. They are perfectly portion sized, easy to assemble, and incredibly tasty. I love switching up the toppings and sides to make these sliders just a little bit different and surprising every time I serve them!
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through these links Betsi’s World receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This pulled pork sliders recipe is perfect for those hot summer days when the idea of standing in front of a hot stove is more than you can stand. All you need to do is put the ingredients into your slow cooker first thing in the morning and you’ll have a yummy, easy dinner waiting for you at the end of the day.
How To Make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sliders
This slow cooker pulled pork recipe uses an Instant Pot, but any slow cooker you have will do! Check the settings on your cooker beforehand to ensure safety during cooking.
The BBQ aspect of this recipe is fairly low key. Adding it to the slow cooker infuses the meat with a great BBQ flavor, but the meat won’t be saturated in it. If you want more pronounced BBQ flavor on your sliders, you can add more sauce to the meat after it is shredded.
This recipe calls for pork shoulder, you can choose a Boston roast or a picnic roast, whatever is handy at the grocery store. The fat on these cuts will ensure that the meat remains moist in your slow cooker or Instant Pot. The slow cooking process will also ensure that the protein breaks down, resulting in tender meat.
To prepare the pulled pork sauce, chop a yellow onion, some shallots, and garlic. Then, choose a BBQ sauce that you love or make one from scratch! For ease and convenience I like to use the Trader Joes Kansas City BBQ Sauce, it's well balanced, not too tangy, sweet or smoky.
Add the pork shoulder to your slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Then pour in some apple cider vinegar, your BBQ sauce, garlic, onion, and shallot. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
The Best Bread For Pulled Pork Sliders
Brioche buns are great for pulled pork sliders. They are buttery and soft, but also airy with the perfect amount of chewiness. They also toast beautifully in an, oven, pan, or on a grill with a little butter.
Hawaiian rolls are also a great alternative to brioche buns. Nothing beats their soft and sweetness! Prepare your bread by toasting the inside so they are crispy and add some butter before putting on your toppings.
What Goes With Pulled BBQ Pork Sliders?
BBQ pulled pork sliders taste amazing with some coleslaw on them. I don't use regular store bought coleslaw, however. To me, this is always made best fresh.
This coleslaw recipe is a little different from the traditional. It's very tangy, uses sour cream, and lots of garlic! Most coleslaw recipes use mayonnaise, but to lighten up the flavor and increase the tanginess, I use sour cream. You may try using half mayo and half sour cream if you prefer the taste of mayonnaise!
To start, I grab a bag of shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots. Then finely mince a few garlic cloves and place them in a bowl. Add the sour cream and the juice a few fresh limes to the bowl. The lime juice replaces the usual use of vinegar in the coleslaw.
Season the coleslaw with salt, pepper, paprika, a tiny dash of sugar, and garlic powder. Mix well and pop it into the fridge to let the flavors develop.
Assembling The Sliders
Finally, it's time to put the BBQ pulled pork sliders together! The roast should be very tender after 8 hours. Carefully remove from slow cooker and place on a serving platter or cutting board reserved for meat. Using a fork in each hand, start “pulling” in two directions, working on one small section of pork at a time. The goal is to “shred” the meat into small strands.
Place shredded meat into a serving container or add it directly to the prepared slider buns. Top with the garlic coleslaw- or add any of your favorite toppings. I like to make a little platter and have everyone assemble their BBQ pulled pork sliders themselves!
Tools You May Need
- Instant Pot. This Instant Pot can do everything! It's great for pressure cooking and slow cooking, the options are endless. It's ideal for those of us who love convenience and cooking delicious meals. Use this to cook your BBQ pulled pork to perfection.
- Knife. For mincing your garlic cloves, shredding the pork, and cutting your cabbage to size.
- Bowl. For making the garlic coleslaw topping for the pulled pork sliders!
- Cutting Board. It's important to have a good foundation for all your chopping, dicing, and slicing needs!
- 2 pound pork shoulder roast
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 1 ½ t. black salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup prepared BBQ sauce
- 2 whole cloves garlic, smashed, peels removed, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 T. shallot, minced
- slider buns, opened with inside buttered and grilled (or toasted in the oven)
- 1 bag of coleslaw veggies (red and green cabbage and carrots)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
For The BBQ Pulled Pork
- Add the pork shoulder to slow cooker or Instant Pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Chop your onions, garlic, and shallots.
- Then pour in apple cider vinegar, your BBQ sauce, garlic, onion, and shallot.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
For The Coleslaw
- Grab a bag of shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots.
- Finely mince a few garlic cloves and place them in a bowl.
- Add the sour cream and the juice a few fresh limes to the bowl.
- Season the coleslaw with salt, pepper, paprika, a tiny dash of sugar, and garlic powder.
- Mix well and pop it into the fridge to let the flavors develop.
- The roast should be very tender after 8 hours. Carefully remove from slow cooker and place on a serving platter or cutting board reserved for meat.
- Using a fork in each hand, start “pulling” in two directions, working on one small section of pork at a time. The goal is to “shred” the meat into small strands.
- Toast the brioche buns and add butter.
- Assemble the buns, the coleslaw, and the pulled pork on a platter for everyone to assemble.
- Or add the pork to the bun, then the coleslaw, add and any other additional toppings you like. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 455Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 112mgSodium 2113mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 28g
An Easy and Tasty Meal
These BBQ pulled pork sliders are so great for the summer season. The use of a slow cooker takes the hassle out of cooking, all you have to do is prepare the coleslaw! Try serving this with a side salad, like a potato or pasta salad! Your family and friends are sure to love this fun and delicious summer day recipe.
If you enjoy all things BBQ try our our Instant Pot BBQ Ribs recipe!
Did you try this recipe? How do you make coleslaw? Let us know in the comments below!